每日翻译练习[二五]

In Silicon Valley

硅谷众生相

 

Your combined household income is $140,000 and you can’t afford shoes for the kids.

年收入14万美元却连孩子的鞋都买不起。

You think anything slower than DSL is barbaric, but can’t get it in your neighborhood.

你难以忍受慢节奏的东西,可是你发现没有什么比宽带的速度更慢。

You know what DSL stands for.

你清楚DSL的含义。

You met your neighbors once.

你见到过你的邻居。

Even though you work 80 hours per week on a computer, for relaxation you read your email.

尽管你每周在电脑屏幕前工作80小时,闲暇时光你还是在看电子邮件。

You have worked at the same job for a year and people call you an "old-timer".

朋友们叫你“老古板”,因为你在一个地方干了一年。

The T-shirts you value most were for products that never made it to market.

你最喜欢是市场上买不到的那些T恤。

You can name four different programming languages and you are not a programmer.

你会四种编程语言,但你不是个程序员。

Standing in line at Starbucks you wonder why the employees don’t call a head hunter.

站在星巴克外的你,总是费解为什么雇员们不去找猎头公司。

You have a master’s degree in engineering but half the people in your department either didn’t go to college or have history degrees, except if you have a master’s from Stanford, in which case everyone in your department has a master’s degree from Stanford.

有一个设计学硕士根本不算什么,你的同事很多根本没学位,或者是历史学硕士。别以为上过斯坦福大学就有什么了不起,你身边的人几乎都是斯坦福出来的。

You don’t go to sporting events unless you are given tickets by your employer.

你从不看球赛,除非老板送了你一张球票。

You could sell your home and live like a king in 99% of the rest of the world, but don’t because it would be difficult to move back.

你豪兴大发就把身家全卖掉了,你也不知道什么时候这些会再回来。

You have at least three computers at home.

你有至少三台电脑。

You own at least one domain on the Internet, probably several.

你有一个或者更多的个人主页。

You think it’s normal to see chip-design software or relational databases advertised on freeway billboards.

高速公路的广告牌上,全都是芯片设计、软件和数据库的广告。

You know that California isn’t just one big beach.

你失常想:“加州也许并不是个大沙滩。”

You know that not everyone in California surfs.

你知道加州并不是每个人都上网。

 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a comment